Saturday 15 April 2017

Research Study Task 5

Eye catching typography

My poster series I heavily based on Anthony Burrill’s work. Burrill is perhaps best known for his typographic, text-based compositions, including the now-famous “Work Hard and Be Nice to People”, which has become a mantra for the design community and beyond. I love how meaningful and eye catching his work is. 
The wood type that he used is always especially bold, and it fits. It is pretty strong, simple and non-designed.

Colour Theory

Colour theory is a body of practical guidance to color mixing and the visual effects of a specific color combination. 
block colours
The designs need to take into considerations the target audience, mine is those who still appreciate print which is quite broad. This is why im basing my series on Burrill. Looking at Burrills use of colour he goes for very bold colours with high contrast to get the attention of those viewing it so he can get across his message.


Psychology of Posters

“The purpose of any poster is to communicate a message. To accomplish that, a poster must first grab a viewers attention. A poster is seen while someone is on the move - driving, riding, or walking by - so it must be engaging enough to capture a person’s attention amid all the other visual clutter."

Handmade techniques

Letterpress printing would be a good analogue technique to use, sticking to the hand-made theme. This process involves printing copies of type by pressing a raised surface, in the shape of the characters, onto paper. Before digital printers, this is how books were printed, it is very time consuming, contemporary experimental designs are created with letterpress. Screenprinting is another handmade technique which is widely used and something that I could use in my designs. 


Geographical:

‘of or relating to the natural features, population, industries, etc., of a region or regions.’
In relation to the geographical aspects of Leeds I looked at firstly at the contemporary art galleries in the area. As my target audience is based on people who go to exhibitions and people who love hand made print. Examples of galleries include; Henry Moore Institue, The Tetley, Gallery Munro House and Sunny Bank Mills. I then looked at Colours May Vary which is a shop which sells some of Burrill’s prints. 

Demographical:
‘relates to a particular structure or sector of a population’

In relation to my awareness campaign my chosen demographic is students. I chose students as when you are starting at university you learn all the different techniques that you could want to know and mnay people become interested in print as they never really as the machinery or knowledge before. More specifically




students in Leeds having focused on those at the University of Leeds and Leeds College if Art. Obviosuly there are many people other than students who are appriciative of print however I wanted a general demographic as a whole and since I don’t know exactly who is appriciative of print then I chose students.  The large student population of Leeds means that if they put on an exhibition of their prints a wide range of people would be reached, with a higher variation of age.

Psychographic:

‘the study and classification of people according to their attitudes, aspirations, and other psychological criteria such as life style, social class and personality’

For this I looked at the overall lifestyle of the students in Leeds. The majority of students enjoy their time in Leeds as it is wll known for its nightlife which is appealing to the youngre generation. Looking at The University of Leeds itself, they were voted 4th in the UK in the 2017 Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey which is very high up.


I chose 3 letterpress example and once screenprinting example as those are my two options that I could use for my project. 

The first figure helpes inform my design as I think the bright colours compliment each other nicely.

For the second figureit again was letterpress, a piece from the print project. When it was created it has the idea of limitation and working with what you have got. This informed my design as it made me think that less is more.

For the third figure it is Burrill which is what I am basing my peoject on, from this i love the bold big text. 


For the last figure I looked at screenprinting. This particular screenprint was made by clare halifax, I was looking aminly at the places that she placed the leafs, I liked the layout and was thinking I could use that sort of layout as a background.







No comments:

Post a Comment